Sunday, March 29, 2009

Last day in Quibdó, Tuesday




It was Tuesday morning, my watch alarm went off, and I felt too tired to move, I felt as if a week had passed. But our day's agenda was full and the bill for our hotel rooms and driver had to be settled, that was all my responsibility.

My colleagues had to sense not to stay up watching Starsky and Hutch reruns on tv and pondering the odd commercials for jungle herbal remedies that would rejuvenate and enhance one's life. (The jungle is a point of pride here, its fruits and secret herbs are revered.)

After showering in a stream of cold water I dressed and repacked my gear. The most important things I kept with me in a bag that never left my side. The malarone for malaria prevention was always at hand and I made sure to never miss a dose. Mosquitoes were not everywhere here in Quibdó, like I thought they might be. I don't remember being bitten in Colombia. Peru proved to be another story, but I'll save that for later.

We breakfasted on huevos revueltos, melon, juice and coffee and prepared to head on over to the Bishop's Residence for some staff meetings. We would be meeting with representatives of partner organizations working on social justice issues.

I took this photo of an army patrol boat from the meeting room at the Bishop's residence, which had a great panoramic view of the Rio Atrato and all of its activities.




© Copyright 2009 Guy Arceneaux All rights reserved


No comments: